Pages

So What's My Story?

After 3 years of being a poor social worker (the work I loved, the pay I didn't), I decided it was time to go back to school and get my Master's! After weighing my options (school far away from home, or school in a different country that is only an 8-hour drive from home) I decided to try my luck in British Columbia, Canada.

For a year I lived in
Surrey, BC while attending Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC. However, as the final component of my work toward my Masters degree in Criminology I have moved back to the states to complete an internship at an Independent Living Program for youth leaving the foster care system.

Here is the story of my adventures as a graduate student in a "foreign" country as well as my current work back in the states.

< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >

Monday, January 12, 2009

Way too much to do!

Do you ever feel like you have a lot of life ahead of you and you just want to get going and see where it takes you?

That has been the story of my life for the last year or so. I wanted to get to Canada and start school... for months I looked at housing on craigslist (even though I knew there was no way to get something 6 months in advance, but I was just curious about what was out there!), now I'm in Canada and I find myself planning for what's going to happen next!

I am going the unconventional route for getting my Master's. Rather than writing a thesis as the end of my tenure at SFU, I will be doing a "practicum" that includes a 3 month internship and then a written literature review. Originally I was thinking about how great it would be to do my internship somewhere far away; get the opportunity to travel a little and see more of the world. So, I spent the last couple of months researching social service agencies in New Zealand, air fare, housing, locations, etc. Then, over the winter break it occured to me that it would probably be more "practical" (I hate that word) to do my internship somewhere that I may want to settle down and possibly get hired on.

I really love the Pacific Northwest and want to stay here, and Jacob wants to end up back in the Portland area, so, I'm now looking at agencies in Portland . I think I found one I like, The Inn Home ILP, but I am still very much up for suggestions. So, now I'm looking at housing, etc. down in Portland... and I still have 7 months to get through up here!

Argh... I REALLY think too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment