Pages

So What's My Story?

After 3 years of being a poor social worker (the work I loved, the pay I didn't), I decided it was time to go back to school and get my Master's! After weighing my options (school far away from home, or school in a different country that is only an 8-hour drive from home) I decided to try my luck in British Columbia, Canada.

For a year I lived in
Surrey, BC while attending Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC. However, as the final component of my work toward my Masters degree in Criminology I have moved back to the states to complete an internship at an Independent Living Program for youth leaving the foster care system.

Here is the story of my adventures as a graduate student in a "foreign" country as well as my current work back in the states.

< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Adventures on the Skytrain


In order to get to school in the morning I need to take a bus from my apartment to the skytrain station... then I take the skytrain to another station where I transfer to another train... after which I take a bus to get me up the "mountain" to campus. Needless to say, with all the time on transit (about an hour either way) I get a lot of awesome people watching in... here are a few of my favorites:

1) There is a blind man that rides my morning bus sometimes. He has a golden lab as a guide dog. When he gets to the bus stop in the morning he says, "Anybody else here?" To which we respond in the affirmative and he says, "Good... didn't miss the bus." One rainy morning his dog was wearing a little doggie parka thing... and, once on the bus, the man pulled out a towel to dry off his companion. This simple scene touched me... the connection between the man and the dog was simply stunning.

2) Today a college aged guy rode 2 of my skytrains and a bus up to the university... wearing an admirals hat. (This is not him by the way... lol).

3) A couple weeks back I was waiting for my first train. There was a rather attractive young Asian guy standing next to me... I was enjoy the view when, out of the blue, he starting do squats on the platform! Full-out squats... exercise breathing and all!

4) On my first bus of the day a woman got on while talking on her cell phone. She sat down behind me and continued her conversation about, I'm assuming, and ex-boyfriend and how he needs to stop sending her demons and "all the transportations".

5) This morning (today was a good people watching day), I got off the train at my connecting station and stepped into an ocean of elementary school kids. There were dozens of them (I'm going to guess about 50 kids plus chaperones). It appears as though they were headed on a field trip down town and someone thought it would be a good idea to take a bunch of 8 year old on the skytrain... let's just say I was VERY happy that I was getting OFF that train!

6) I was eaves dropping on a conversation a few months back between a couple guys (from their accents I think they were from the Caribbean or some other islandy place). I thought they were speaking a foreign language and was trying to figure out what language it was... they one of them used an English word and I realized that they had been speaking English the whole time! Just with a VERY thick accent with a LOT of odd slang.

7) My favorite people watching experiences are the kids with their parents... the kids who obviously don't ride on the skytrain often and still see the wonder in it. They peer out the windows (especially when we go over the river) and point "cool" stuff out to their parents (who are taking pictures and also pointing out things for their kids to see). This is how I feel on the skytrain... wonder, excitement, joy... but I'm 26 years old... too old to have my head pressed up against the window and getting excited over freighter boats and taking pictures... I find this revelation pretty sad...


Three little girls with their parents... marveling at the view from the skytrain.... the dude on the right is wearing the admiral's hat! ;)

1 comment:

  1. People who ride the subways in Taiwan are often sleeping for the entire ride. It amazes me they can do that and not fear missing their stop.

    ReplyDelete