Pages

So What's My Story?

After 3 years of being a poor social worker (the work I loved, the pay I didn't), I decided it was time to go back to school and get my Master's! After weighing my options (school far away from home, or school in a different country that is only an 8-hour drive from home) I decided to try my luck in British Columbia, Canada.

For a year I lived in
Surrey, BC while attending Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC. However, as the final component of my work toward my Masters degree in Criminology I have moved back to the states to complete an internship at an Independent Living Program for youth leaving the foster care system.

Here is the story of my adventures as a graduate student in a "foreign" country as well as my current work back in the states.

< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >

Monday, January 5, 2009

This is Grad School?: First Impressions


Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC


I don't know what I was expecting when I starting up the Master's in Criminology program at SFU, but what I got was not it! I expected lectures, lots of classes, and many, many students. Instead, classes are more discussion periods, professors see you a colleagues rather than students, and there are only about 14 other students in my cohort.

I have pass codes to secured areas of the building, have access to a private computer lab, get a printing allowance each year, have an office that I share with 3 other classmates with my own desk area and large storage bin, and another office to use for any teaching assistant duties. As a grad student I am pretty much guaranteed a job as a teaching assistant for an undergrad course, which pays my tuition completely.

I only have 3 classes a term. Last term I went to school 2 days a week, this term I'll be there for 3. However, after this term, my coursework is done and for the next year I work independently, never having to go to another class.

Professors don't want to give grad students anything less than an A- and will adjust their grading scale in order to reflect that.

On my first day of class, we were told not to sleep with professors or undergrad students... I guess I should have known at that point that this was going to be an interesting experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment