Pages

So What's My Story?

After 3 years of being a poor social worker (the work I loved, the pay I didn't), I decided it was time to go back to school and get my Master's! After weighing my options (school far away from home, or school in a different country that is only an 8-hour drive from home) I decided to try my luck in British Columbia, Canada.

For a year I lived in
Surrey, BC while attending Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC. However, as the final component of my work toward my Masters degree in Criminology I have moved back to the states to complete an internship at an Independent Living Program for youth leaving the foster care system.

Here is the story of my adventures as a graduate student in a "foreign" country as well as my current work back in the states.

< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Whistler

Jacob and I took a trip up to Whistler today... we were on a secret mission. ;) According to the fine print I'm not suppose to tell anyone why we went, but let's just say that we got paid to go on a date at a nice restaurant! lol.. doesn't get much better than that! Oh... and we were FORCED to buy alcohol. lol (maybe it does get a LITTLE better!) =)

We had a good time. The weather was kinda sucky, rainy on the way up, cloudy and snowy when we got there. I need to go back up on a clear day, I bet the view is FANTASTIC.

I was pretty surprised at the village they have up there. I'm not a skier, the last time i went was half my lifetime ago. I think we went up to Willamette Pass and I just remember driving forever out into the middle of nowhere on a snow-covered mountain with a big lodge and a bunch of chair lifts. Whistler was nothing like that... big gondolas (not just boats in Italy!) carried people straight from the village up the mountains (there were two peaks to choose from with LOTS of different routes). Skiers could take a lunch break at one of about 50 restaurants in the village and leave their boards and skis in racks on the street (kinda like bike racks). I thought it was pretty cool! =) So many people shuffling in and out of shops with their ski boots and goggles still on, and boarders waiting to catch the bus to and from the village. I was impressed.






P.S. I won the gold while I was up there... I have the photo to prove it! =)



No comments:

Post a Comment