Pages

So What's My Story?

After 3 years of being a poor social worker (the work I loved, the pay I didn't), I decided it was time to go back to school and get my Master's! After weighing my options (school far away from home, or school in a different country that is only an 8-hour drive from home) I decided to try my luck in British Columbia, Canada.

For a year I lived in
Surrey, BC while attending Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC. However, as the final component of my work toward my Masters degree in Criminology I have moved back to the states to complete an internship at an Independent Living Program for youth leaving the foster care system.

Here is the story of my adventures as a graduate student in a "foreign" country as well as my current work back in the states.

< > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < >

Monday, February 23, 2009

Tagged!

I thought this first part was an interesting way to learn a little more about me... the second part is strictly for Lauren as she, apparently, really wanted me to do it! lol

(And, for all you Canadians reading this, please take note that I have not highlighted the gun question... even though I am American! =P )


Things Everyone Needs to do Before They Die
(I have marked the ones I have done in purple!)

  • Started your own blog
  • Slept under the stars
  • Played in a band
  • Visited Hawaii (I'm counting this one as I have a trip planned on April 28th!)
  • Watched a meteor shower
  • Given more than you can afford to charity
  • Been to Disneyland
  • Climbed a Mountain
  • Held a praying mantis
  • Sang a solo (Believe me... you don't want me to! lol)
  • Bungee jumped
  • Visited Paris
  • Watched a lightening storm at sea
  • Taught yourself an art from scratch
  • Adopted a child
  • Had food poisoning (three times... all by my own hand =P )
  • Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty (I've walked as far up as a person can now, so I'm counting this one!)
  • Grown your own vegetables
  • Slept on an overnight train
  • Hitch hiked
  • Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
  • Held a lamb
  • Gone skinny dipping
  • Run a Marathon
  • Seen a total eclipse
  • Watched a sunrise or sunset (used to watch the sun rise every morning on my way to work... gotta love those 6 AM work shifts!)
  • Hit a home run
  • Been on a cruise
  • Seen Niagara Falls in person
  • Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (recent ancestors... lol.. I've been to small town Idaho on a number of occasions!)
  • Seen an Amish community
  • Fired a rifle, shotgun or pistol
  • Seen Michelangelo’s David in person
  • Sung karaoke
  • Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
  • Bought a stranger a meal
  • Visited Africa
  • Walked on a beach by moonlight
  • Been transported in an ambulance
  • Had your portrait painted
  • Gone deep sea fishing
  • Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
  • Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (again, counting it because that's what I'm going to do in Hawaii!!)
  • Kissed in the rain
  • Played in the mud
  • Gone to a drive-in theater
  • Visited the Great Wall of China in person
  • Started a business (sell books online... taking a brief hiatus while doing the Canadian grad school thing)
  • Taken a martial art class
  • Visited Russia
  • Served at a soup kitchen (technically not a soup kitchen, however I worked at a place for a year that, part of which, consists of serving meals to the homeless)
  • Sold Girl Scout cookies (Not GS cookies, but I was a Campfire kid... we sold cookies too!)
  • Gone Whale Watching
  • Got flowers for no reason
  • Donated blood, platelets, or plasma (I would not be a good candidate for this and be more of a trouble to the techs than a help to the public, I think... if you know me, you know why!)
  • Gone sky diving
  • Visited a Nazi concentration camp
  • Bounced a check
  • Flown in a helicopter
  • Saved a favorite childhood toy
  • Visited the Lincoln Memorial in person
  • Eaten Caviar
  • Pieced a quilt
  • Stood in Times Square
  • Been fired from a job
  • Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
  • Been on a speeding motorcycle
  • Seen the Grand Canyon in person
  • Published something
  • Bought a brand new car
  • Walked in Jerusalem
  • Visited the White House
  • Had chickenpox
  • Sat on a jury
  • Met someone famous (famous in certain circles. lol)
  • Joined a book club
  • Lost a loved one
  • Had a baby
  • Seen the Alamo in person
  • Swam in the ocean (REALLY looking forward to swimming in a WARM ocean in HI!)
  • Owned a cell phone
  • Been stung by a bee
  • Seen Mount Rushmore in person
  • Learned to play an instrument
  • Held a tarantula
  • Touched an iceberg
  • Changed a baby’s diaper
  • Taken a trip in a hot air balloon
  • Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
  • Had a food fight
  • Screamed as loudly as you possibly can
  • Ridden a roller coaster
  • Visited all 50 states (this is my goal... but I'm only about half way there)
  • Taken a road trip
  • Milked a cow
  • Been in a movie
  • Crashed a party
  • Made cookies from scratch
  • Gotten a tattoo
  • Rafted the Snake River
  • Performed on stage
  • Been to Las Vegas (Four times now)
  • Eaten shark (nope... ate alligator though)
  • Bought a house
  • Been in a combat zone (after working in a residential treatment facility with 10 teenage girls with emotional disturbances, I am SOOOO saying yes)
  • Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
  • Touched a sting ray
  • Broken a bone (I'm fairly certain I've broken toes)
  • Ridden a horse
  • Eaten sushi
  • Had your picture in newspaper
  • Gone back to school
  • Eaten fried green tomatoes
  • Killed and prepared an animal for eating
  • Dyed your hair
  • Caused a car accident
  • Saved someone’s life (In a conceptual way, I hope I have)


A--Attached or Single: Attached
B--Best Friend: I have a handful of really awesome friends
C--Cake or Pie: Depends... give me Sweet Life cake any time, but if there's a chocolate peanut butter cream pie there might be an internal debate! =)
D--Day of Choice: I like sunny Saturdays
E--Essential Item: Chapstick and a hair tie
F--Favorite Color: blue
G--Greatest Accomplishment: Graduating HS and college with top honors, being accepted to a competitive master's program.
H--Hometown: Junction City
I--Indulgences: Chocolate and Travel
J--January or July: July
K--Kids: Just my cat as of now!
L--Life is incomplete without: my family
M--Marriage Date: some day =)
N--Number of Siblings: 3 little brothers
O--Oranges or Apples: Apples... not as messy
P--Phobias or fears: Veins
Q--Quotes: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world"-Ghandi
R--Reason to Smile: Life
S--Season: Early fall or late Summer... I love the warm weather but I'm also a sucker for the color change.
T--Tag 5 Friends: If you're reading this and you want to, do it. =)
U--Unknown fact about me: I went to a super-max state prison by choice.
V--Very favorite store: Probably Target
W--Worst habit: Nail biting
X--X-ray or Ultra Sound: Um... either?
Y--Your favorite food: pizza, chocolate, ice cream. pork chops, fried chicken, mashed potatoes =)
Z—Zodiac: Virgo

No comments:

Post a Comment